League Report 04/11/2010

Started by Mebs Virani

< Back to forum topics

You must be logged in to reply on this topic.

Reply Message
Mebs Virani
Fri 05 Nov '10 @ 8:13pm

CANTERBURY & DISTRICT TTA PRESS REPORT 04/11/2010

Faversham B have emerged as one of the front runner teams in division 3,with emphatic 8-1 wins in their first 3 fixtures. They were in rampant mood against a two man Choughs F side,with only David Oliver losing in 5 sets to Richard Partridge. The latter was involved in a close tussle with Richard Bothamley,but lost it in the deciding set. Faversham were taken to a 5th set in the doubles before sealing victory.
They continued their onslaught against Chestfield Warriors 5,this time it was Terry Wibberley who dropped a game against Bob Hassam in a tight 5 setter.
Faversham maintained their momentum in their next match against Warriors 4,but faced tougher games.Craig Kirby was stretched to 5 sets by Simon Howe before coming through while Wibberley was swept aside in straight sets by Jake Coombes and had to dig deep to conjure up a 5th set win against Howe. Coombes played a magnificent game against Kevin Lloyd,only to lose it in the decider. Faversham scraped through 3-2 in the doubles, and now lead the division on 24 points.
Herne Bay J and Herne Bay I have also made good starts to their division 3 campaigns. Steven Dawson and Val Ranken of the J side gave a good account of themselves with a 6-3 victory against Blean D,winning all their games,although Ranken needed 5 sets to get past Andy Bate while against Blean C, Israel Awonusi emerged unbeaten while the other two both lost to Keith Ackland.
The I side began with a 6-3 win over Blean C in a match that saw all Bay players lose to Kevin West,while against Whitstable natives C,the combined talents of Paul Messenger,Robert Nutter and Roger Townsin produced a 6-3 win but all 3 struggled against Keith Garrad.One point separates the J and I sides as they occupy 2nd and 3rd place in division 3.

This season sees Division 4 made up of ten 2 man sides,instead of the usual 3,with 4 singles matches and one doubles match taking place. The Chestfield Warriors 7 side of Adam Jones and Connor Russell opened their league campaign with a resounding 5-0 win over Chestfield Warriors 8. Jones needed 5 sets to overcome Kell Davies but the remaining games and the doubles were all straight set wins. Jones and Russell repeated the scoreline against Dizzy Heights B and Jones again was involved in a 5 setter,this time against Matthew Clayson.
Faversham C began strongly in division 4 with a 5-0 win over Chestfield Warriors 9.Kevin Bourner and N. Wibberley saw off the opposition of Mano Sathyamurthy and Adam Dyer without dropping a set.
Choughs H got off to a winning start in division 4 when they beat club colleagues,Choughs I,4-1. Ian Purchase-Gazarza completed two wins but Ethan Solly failed to beat Jackie Fok but redeemed himself with a 3-1 win over Michael Green.The H side had a comfortable straight sets win in the doubles.

Remember me and or Register